braze-on VS clamp-on

  • Home
  • braze-on VS clamp-on
5 replies [Last post]
Anonymous's picture

hey peeps,

I inadvertently won an eBay auction and now have a full carbon Look frame. I'm pretty psyched. I figure I'll trick this out into a super sweet road riding machine and I want to go the SRAM route. All this is pretty much beside the point. My real question is: looking on ebay, sellers offer the option of braze-on or clamp-on front derailleurs. Does anyone know what the diff is and what I should go for?

PS: what shop should i go to to build this bad boy?

Anonymous's picture
Jim N (not verified)

If the seat tube has a little place to mount a front derailleur, at about the height of the top of your bigger chainring, you need a braze-on. If it's straight all the way down, you need a clamp-on.

Anonymous's picture
greg (not verified)
thanks (nm)
Anonymous's picture
Rich Conroy (not verified)

A frame for a braze-on will have tab with a long oval hole sticking out of the seat tube.

As to your question about which shop, drop me an email & I'll give you a good recommendation.


Anonymous's picture
Christian Edstrom (not verified)

You don't get a choice - the frame will dictate which you need.

A carbon Look will require a clamp-on derailleur.

- Christian

Anonymous's picture
Matt P. (not verified)

"Certainly not all carbon Looks require a clamp-on front mech. Check the frames at


"" target=""_new"">

To the OP, you will know when you get the frame. Look for the tab on the seat tube. If there is no tab, you will need a clamp-on. You will also have to find out the diameter you'll need. Clamps come in different sizes."

cycling trips